New York Red Bulls verus Orlando City - My experience - Rachael Berghahn

 New York Red Bulls versus Orlando City - MLS (soccer) Gameweek 7 - My experience

On May 29, 2021, my parents and I traveled to Red Bull Arena in Harrison New Jersey (very close to NYC) to see the New York Red Bulls play Orlando City in the MLS. During the day and the match, I attempted to record my thoughts about the events of the day. Someone who dosen't follow soccer and the New York Red Bulls may not completely understand everything I write, as I reference players and aspects of soccer, but nonetheless the ideas from the day should still be understood. I also did not record everything due to trying to enjoy the match and also being busy walking, but that shouldn't take away from the summary of the day/the match.


9:47 - My dad and I leave our house in PA where we are for the weekend and start the long drive to the Rockaway Mall to pick up my mom who is shopping with my sister. Right now, its raining decently hard and doesn't look to be stopping anytime soon which is a bit worrying.

11:20 - We arrive at the Rockaway Mall to pick up my mom. It's still raining hard even here. Why did I want to go to a game in the rain... :(

11:46 - Pre-game thoughts - We are probably going to lose as the Red Bulls have lost two straight matches on the road. Orlando is undefeated in the season so far which is scary, but one of their best players, Nani, out so I don't really know what will happen. The less then ideal conditions could make it anyone's game at least.

11:54 - Red Bull Arena is in sight as we make our way into Harrison, New Jersey. There are a lot of very good restaurants here that we unfortunately won't be stopping at today. 

12:01 - We make it to the parking garage that we've parked in a lot previously. Many good times have been spent up on the roof but today we're parked further down due to the rain. So far I've only been to one match and am hoping this one is better then the first.

12:01-12:53 - We walk from our car in the parking garage to the arena which isn't far away. For some reason, today we had an issue with our ticket barcode on my dad's phone, which was frustrating. Looking around, it's not crowded which is both good and bad, but explainable because of the rain. Due to different covid restrictions, we aren't in our normal seats which are close to the field, but these seats which are high up, give a good view of the whole field. 

12:55 - Further Prematch thoughts - Orlando hasn't lost yet. Our team is injured and depleted. We're kinda screwed.

1:01 - Kickoff is supposed to be at 1 but it's always late. I'm pretty nervous but at least its not raining now and we are covered by a roof.

1:08 - Kickoff

1:10 - The Red Bulls have a freekick on the edge of the box after midfielder Frankie Amaya is brought down. The Red Bulls probably won't make anything of it though like usual. The first few minutes of the match have been solid with good pressure and possession.

1:11 - I called it, as nothing came from the freekick.

1:14 - Another freekick for the Red Bulls on the edge of the box. A better kick is taken and that forces the Orlando goalie to make a great save.

1:23 - 15 minutes in - I would say we are playing well. The Red Bulls have been pressing well (pressure on opposing team which creates turnovers and opportunities). They've had a few shots and I'm pretty impressed.

1:30 - Good cross into the box and Danny Royer who hasn't scored in 15 games misses it. The game is starting to even out and Orlando are showing their quality.

1:40 - 30 minutes in and the game is solid back and forth, which makes for good viewing. I'm enjoying it so far.

1:44 - GOAL! Patryk Klimala, the new expensive player send in a cross, and the newly 18 Caden Clark taps it into the back of the net! Celebration ensues across the supporters. This is only Orlando's third goal conceded this season in 7 games.

1:53 - End of the first half, then 3 minutes of stoppage time added on.

Halftime thoughts - Good half, a pretty even game but we won out offensively. John Tolkin, the 18 years old left back making his first start has really impressed me. For the second half, I hope for continued pressing but that probably won't happen as it isn't sustainable.

Sometime between halves - We went to a half-priced store and bought some old gear so that was fun.

2:12 - The second half has started and the Orlando goalie made another good save off of a shot from a free kick.

2:26 - GOAL!!! Cristian Casseres Jr. Scores directly from a free kick into the top left corner with pin-point accuracy. No one on the Red Bulls has scored one in years (no one since 2016). 

2:37 - Game is a little quieter but still good. It's opening up (more chances) as the players grow tired.

2:47 - 80th minute- Orlando is pushing for chances and a goal but we're still doing well.

2:50 - 84th minute - Orlando goal. I saw it coming but the Red Bulls looked tired and started to turn off their focus and look lethargic. The coach also waited too long to make more subs which may have lead to this.

2:54 - Orlando has an opportunity and one of the players skies a shot. A sigh of relief eminates around the arena.

2:56 - 90th minute then stoppage time. I'm getting nervous as there is 5 minutes of stoppage time until the end of the game.

3:02 - RED BULLS WIN! We beat a good team and dealt them their first loss. It certainly wasn't easy but we did it. New York State of Mind plays over the speaker as everyone cheers.

3:31 - We arrive back at the car after seeing the team thank the fans and supporters. The captain, Sean Davis, may have even waved to us from the field. It's raining again.

Thoughts from the day - It was good day at Red Bull Arena. One of the best games from the Red Bulls that I've seen maybe in a few years. My low expectations did not come to fruition which was a nice surprise and a lot of players really impressed me. It felt like an good team performance from everyone which was really nice to see. Recording or at least attempting to record my thoughts wasn't as easy as I expected but it was an overall positive experience. If you made it this far, I'm surprised, but thanks for reading about my experiences. 


Comments

Post a Comment