Color is Really Weird- Anthony Lane

 

    Don't ask why I started thinking about this because I really have no clue why but I guarantee this will keep you up at night. What if we all see color differently? Not like being colorblind, but what if my blue isn't the same as your blue. How would we be able to know what we see is different? This may sound confusing but let me try to better explain.


       We all know that a strawberry is red. However, what if when I look at a strawberry, I see a different color than what someone else sees as red but since we both grew up knowing that that color is red, our reds are different. The crazy thing about this is is that if this were true and the colors we saw were different from one another with the same name, how would we be able to describe the difference? We wouldn't be able to because you can't even really explain a color without just saying what objects are that color. For example, if someone asked you to describe red, the only way you could describe it would be by giving examples of red objects, but you can't actually explain it. So, just imagine if we are all seeing the world in different ways but just are not able to know those differences. Everything that we experience would be different from one another whether its in a small or big way. 

    Not only may we see colors differently, there are colors that humans can not possibly imagine seeing that other animals can see. For example, some birds have more color receptors in their eyes than humans do meaning that they are able to see colors that we can not even imagine or perceive. It's mind boggling  to think that there just isn't a way to imagine these other colors, yet they are visible to these animals. 

    Overall, the more you think about color, the stranger and more interesting it gets and I hope I made you think and wonder about it.  


Comments

  1. This is a very interesting topic and one I think about all the time. I find it fascinating that different animals can see more or less colors than us, including colors we couldn't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment