Unpopular Opinion: Vaping Isn't For Me

 

          I think it's pretty common knowledge that a lot of teenagers are getting more and more into using vapes and e-cigarettes these days, and contradictory to probably more than half of Gen-Z, I am not one of them. I think vapes and e-cigs can be a very helpful tool for those over 21 who are trying to get out of a nicotine addiction (from smoking cigarettes), but the underage kids who are getting their hands on these makes the whole idea an issue.  
          A lot of my peers do use vapes and often, and I think it causes more problems than a quick "buzzed" sensation. What I've found most often when people talk about it is the addiction. A lot of these kids started using in middle school, and just thought it was something to make them look cooler or fit in, but now end up with a crippling nicotine addiction, and can't go more than an hour without fiening. There's also a huge issue with the social aspect. Majority of teen parties you go to, you'll probably see a vape in someone's hand (usually multiple someones).   

          As a non-vaper, I've asked some of my friends why they do it, and if they know it's bad for them. The results of my expert research conclude that yes, all of them knew it was bad for them, but the "goods" outweighed the "bads" in their opinions. A lot of the usage was due to an anti-stress and anti-anxiety mechanism, or something to ease some of their struggles. It also ends up being a huge social bridge, and a huge way that teens end up connecting with each other. I think a lot of my friends know I don't partake, and I'll end up getting excluded because of it. 
          I think a lot of people do want to quit, and have tried to, but the addiction has become too great that even after throwing the device out, the gravitation towards a hit becomes too strong that they'll go out and buy a new one. 
          For any of my friends or peers reading this, I don't mean any of this in a judgmental way, and I don't think you're a bad person or don't make good decisions, I just wouldn't choose that for myself. I know everything is hard especially this year, and I understand why vaping might be helpful for stress, anxiety, etc. It's your life, and you have to choose how to live it the way you want to live it. For me, I choose to de-stress in other ways that may not apply to you, which is totally cool, but for this article, I believe that I am in the minority of teens who use or do not use vapes and e-cigarettes. 

Comments

  1. This should be the popular opinion. It's not good for you and we finally got to a point where very few people smoked cigarettes and then suddenly all teens were vaping. There is no name on this - email me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree with what you said more. Personally, I like my lungs and don't feel like messing them up and I like living without being tied down to a substance. I don't think I'll ever understand why people think it's cool it's really just so dumb.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment