Unpopular Opinion: Sad Music is Better than Happy Music- Anthony Lane

 

    

    Don't get me wrong, I can enjoy almost any type of music for the most part. However, I am a fairly attentive listener to music and lyrics and for me, and sad, emotional, or more melancholy music just speaks more to that side of my listening. I like to think when I'm listening to music. I like to think about what is being said, what it means, how the instrumentation contributes to the lyrics, etc. Now, there is plenty or artists and songs that I love that are more happy and I really enjoy. However, I most of the time prefer sad.

    Another thing is that sad music tends to be a lot deeper and more meaningful than happy music which tends to often be a lot lighter without a ton of depth. Most of the time, I prefer the depth because figuring things out about a song and relating to it while listening to it is a major part of how I experience music. Most of the time, I can't just listen passively and often when I am listening to music during school, I will lose focus on school because I focus too much on the music. Again, this isn't always the case for me and sometimes music will just be background noise, but not usually. 


    For the passive music listener, I would recommend trying out deeper artists and songs. I believe it really enhances my perception of music a lot and approaching things from a different angle is always interesting and beneficial in some way.    


     

Comments

  1. I tend to agree with this- sometimes the sadder songs just have so much emotion behind them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment