Unpopular Opinion- Pets are Overrated: Jake Hand

 Almost everyone I know looks at me astonished when I say that I would rather not have any pets. I think that the idea of pets sounds great and that many people make up these ideas about pets, but there is a tough reality. Owning pets comes with lots of responsibility and a lot of work. Many pet owners claim that owning pets create so much joy and happiness, but I have a different opinion with tons of experience with different pets. Now different pets do come with different work, so some may be easier to take care of than others, but any pet can still be a hassle. Pets can also cost a great amount of money, not only the initial charge, but the cost of living for animals is absurdly expensive along with veterinarian visits. 


As of right now, my family owns 2 dogs and 2 cats, neither of which I would give away no matter how much they annoy me. On the contrary, many people do buy pets without being able to commit and support them. One of the dogs we own is a foster dog and would have been put down if we didn't take her in and many people don't realize how much work pets are. I like animals and enjoy nature, but I think that people drastically exaggerate how great it is to have pets. I do not hate animals by any means but I think that a life without pets could be a lot less stressful, but having animals is a commitment that people need to be ready for.


Comments

  1. I think it's interesting that you love your pets, but still feel this way. I've never had a pet in m life and the reasons you mention are reasons why we never got one. Plus, we're not home a lot and I feel like I'd feel bad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, pets can be a lot of work at times.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment