The Importance of Family - Isabella Sportelli




         It might sound cliche, but when I think of something important to me I immediately think of family. Not only because it provides love and support like no other, but also because parents are arguably the single most important influence in a child’s life. It’s up to the parents to instill good moral values into their children and teach them how the real world works. Parenting is what lays the foundation for what kind of person you will grow up to become. It’s one of the most challenging jobs out there, though it is not often recognized as one. There is no “right” way to raise a child with a step-by-step How-To book, instead, everyone is left to figure out what's best on their own. 

        There have been countless studies on how your childhood affects your success as an adult. According to mental-health counselor Laura JJ Dessauer, if your parents don't let you make decisions, you might be codependent as an adult. You may seek relationships where someone else is in control, dangerous in cases of abuse. Julie Lythcott-Haims, author of "How to Raise an Adult" stated in a TedTalk that if you're raised to do chores, you're more likely to become a more collaborative, empathetic, and independent person. Also notable is that a study in South Africa found that if you copycat your parents, you'll probably be more open-minded as an adult. Young children often go through a phase where they copy everything their parents do, like how they act and what they say. Research from psychologist Sandra Tang also suggests that "If your mom finishes college, you're more likely to do the same." Parents have to set a standard and whether the bar is high or low can greatly impact how successful you become. This just goes to show how nearly every little thing can have some impact on a child's life. However, parenting does not stop after the toddler years. I would say the most important aspect of parenting comes in when you have the ability to think for yourself and make your own decisions. 

        As for myself, I am incredibly grateful for my family and I know this is a privilege that not everyone has. You may have friends, coworkers, etc, but at the end of the day, my family will be some of the only people that genuinely want me to succeed. I know that they will always be constants in my life, always there to fall back on when I fail. My Dad himself always acknowledges his mess-ups in life, from schooling to getting into the workforce to getting married and so on. He’s constantly telling me where he went wrong to make sure he steers me in the right direction to avoid the pitfalls that tripped him up. It makes my life easier when it comes to making big decisions. I can always rely on my parents, who have been around much longer than me, to hand over some advice. I’m so lucky to have parents who teach me about the real world and people’s true intentions. Some may call them cynical, but I would much rather hear the hard truth than the falsified version where everything is sunshine and rainbows. They make sure to not sugar coat anything for me and for that, I am forever grateful. My Dad is constantly lecturing me on why it’s so critical that I succeed. Both my parents have high expectations for me, but it is never overbearing. For the most part, because of their parenting, I put these high expectations on myself. Everything else that I find important in life can be traced back to how I was raised. I value education and my grades are one of my top priorities. I value having big goals in life and finding your overall purpose. But most of all, I value the relationships you make along the way. Families are where we're taught how to manage emotions, interact, and communicate, but it's also where we're taught the difference between right and wrong. These values affect how a person treats others, how they view themselves, and what they see as their purpose in life. In addition, I feel as though my parents have modeled what a relationship should look like. When the time comes where I have a family of my own, I will for sure be following in their footsteps. 

        When we talk about basic necessities in life, the common answers are always food, water, or shelter. However, we often neglect human interaction. Family is the most basic level of this, another reason as to why it is of the utmost importance to me. For one thing, I know I will never be alone. Between the parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins, it would be impossible to feel lonely. Family is one of the most valuable gifts anyone could ask for. It's having someone to share your problems with, someone you can count on, and someone who will be there for you through thick and thin. When times get tough, they will be there to help you fight your battles. Family to me is advice, encouragement, support, a sense of security, values, morals, understanding, and of course, unconditional love. A family's bond can be challenged, but never severed. And it's this very bond that makes life worth living. 

 
                                    




Comments

  1. I love that you incorporated some research into this post because it really reiterates some of our experiences. You're lucky to have such wonderful parents and family. I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment