Something Important to Me - Daniel Maher

     When I look at my life in perspective, I can find many things that are important to me. Family, friends, movies, and so much more. But by far the one thing that stands out to me most is sports. Sports have always had a special place in my life since I was only three years old. I come from a family that has always cherished competition and sport and taken it to an extreme level, which I guess drives my love for sports in general. My grandfather played major league baseball for a short time and a my uncles competed at an elite level in running. My dad also was a junior Olympic volleyball player.  No matter what sport I'm playing, I'm always trying my hardest to win because. That's just the personality and mindset I was raised in. If your not first, your last, as tough as that may sound. 

   

    Although I love sports in general, there are a few favorites that definitely come to mind. Baseball has always been my favorite sport growing up. It's also my best. It doesn't matter whether I'm playing it or watching it, it doesn't inhibit my love for the game. Most of my family have grown up Mets fans, yet I somehow have became an L.A. Dodgers fan. Even though 2020 was a rough year, the one great moment I'll never forget is being able to see my team win their first championship since 1988. It was a long timing coming as well, as we've won the division eight straight years, but couldn't win it all until this year. But if you win some, you also have to lose some, which is exactly what the Packers did yet again, losing their fourth NFC championship game in the Aaron Rodgers era. 
    Of course there are other sports I enjoy. College basketball has always been a favorite of mine. To me, basketball on the collegiate level has always produced better games than on the NBA level. My family always looks forward to March Madness every so we have the opportunity to fill out our brackets and see who folds first. I'm a big Duke fan and for the last couple of years we haven't necessarily been playing well which has been tough to watch. I'm just hoping we can finish this year a ranked team. 
    But, when I really look back on it, I guess one of the biggest reason's I enjoy sports are the special moments created and memories people take with them along the way. These moments and memories stick with you for the long run. The Cubs winning their first world series in 108 years, or the Eagles winning the Superbowl in 2017. I'll never forget where I was when I saw the Dodgers win the world series or when the Packers won the Superbowl. I might never see the Knicks win an NBA finals, but I can live with that. And while I may remember the good, the bad will also stick with you. I remember exactly where I was when I heard the Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash exactly one year ago today. But the power of sports on my life and other people's lives always finds a way to put a smile on my face, no matter how bad things may get. 




Comments

  1. So true, sports create so many great memories

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Kopp is also very upset that the Knicks may never win a final!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment