A Game of Failure - Liam Gallagher

The old saying "baseball is a game of failure" couldn't be more true and you would drive yourself crazy if you played and thought otherwise. I've been playing baseball my whole life and as you progress every new season comes with its own set of challenges. Many people who don't play see the game as a simple one; you hit, you pitch, and you field for nine innings and go home, but it's much more than that. The truth is every time I sit down to watch a game or go out to play I leave it having learned something new, either about the game or about myself. It's truly a game that challenges you every day, mentally and physically, and only the best at each level move on to the next. The greatest hitters in baseball only get a hit three out of every ten times, and those are the greats, but it is the aspiration of achieving that yourself at whatever level you may be at is what makes it a great game to play.

I'm genuinely grateful for everything baseball has taught throughout the years and all the memories it has provided me with. It's really cool to look back and think of practicing with my dad and my brother in the front yard and to see how far I've come. Battling through the month-long slumps and taking the tough losses on the chin are just as memorable as the big hits and tournament wins. The lessons the game has taught me about teamwork, leadership, perseverance, and more are things that will continue to prove valuable and grow as I get older. I know this is starting to sound like a retirement speech but that couldn't be further from the truth as looking back only makes what's to come that more exciting. At the end of the day, it takes a certain type of person to love a game of failure, but to those who do, it's gonna make success that much sweeter.

Comments

  1. Such a great game! I played softball from the time I was 4 until just a few years and only stopped because of my kid's schedules and I coached my daughter's team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly right Liam. Its a sport of streaks, home runs and strikeouts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment