Traditions -Maelee Moriarty

For me, from November 1st until December 25th it is all about Christmas. Only Christmas music is played and preparations begin. From spending time with family, to all the food and decorations, one thing that I think is very important about the holiday season is traditions. Whether they are new or old there should always be traditions. Especially during the holidays traditions are the perfect time for family to be together. 

My favorite holiday tradition has not quite been the same the past few years. Every Christmas since I could remember, my whole family would go on vacation in the Caribbean. These trips were so much more memorable than a physical gift. These trips stopped a few years ago but the memories from my younger self are still clear as the sky. Having my whole family together celebrating and enjoying ourselves was the best tradition. For two week out of the year there were no worries and everyone was enjoying themselves. Although you might not call this a tradition since it has not lasted as long as I wished, it just left room for more traditions to come. 


Other traditions also hold a place in my heart. Like most families, food plays a big role around the holidays. Whether it is a secret family recipe or a traditional food, food always manages to have a big impact on families. For me, sitting around the table with family, eating holiday foods we love ends up being a special time. In my house, my mom only makes crepes on Christmas morning. We wait a whole year to eat a simple meal but you would think there is gold on the table with all the excitement. This meal is one of the highlights of the holiday season and is just another tradition I hope to never loose. 

One more tradition I thought was worth sharing was the annual Christmas tree hunt. Some families get fake tree which are beautiful but in my house we set up a real tree perfectly selected by the whole family. It might sound basic but getting a Christmas tree and decorating it really marks the start of the Christmas countdown. My family drives to a Christmas tree farm and will spend hours searching for the perfect tree. We go through rows and rows to get "THE ONE" and every year we end up getting the first one we saw. Honestly that sounds like it would bother me but it seems to be apart of the tradition now. Once we get the tree somehow strapped onto the car and manage to get it home without it falling in the middle of the highway, we decorate. Some families care about having perfectly stringed lights with only red and while ornaments. Sometimes I wish that was what my tree looked like but then I realize all the memories that has filled my tree up. From kindergarten finger paintings to funny little singing ornaments, every year our tree is always different and special to us. Something about having a tree brings out the Christmas spirit in every home. 



Having traditions may seem silly at times but keeps the holidays going. Especially during times right now, it is important to remember what the holidays are about and keep traditions alive. 



Comments

  1. Traditions are so important to many families and it sounds like you have some great ones!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment