The Struggles Of Online School By Devin Dean

    Different levels of schooling come with different courses, structures, and difficulty.  Much like classes, students have many differences.  Different strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles.  As one student progresses through their learning career, they change.  Whether that is based on subject, environment, or simply time depends on the individual.    

     As a high school student living in today's society, I have to live with online school.  This was an unforeseen twist in my schooling.  I am not the type of student who can easily deal with learning from the computer.  Day in and day out, I struggle to keep myself focused and stay on task. Staring at the screen for hours on end causes me to unfocus my eyes, and eventually my mind.  Between my daily classes amd the homework placed on top of that, I shut down every night, barely having enough mental energy to go to work, or hold a conversation.  I find myself procrastinating more and more, and pushing the time limit (clearly as I write this article the night before it is due after having a month to complete it).  But, I don't think these struggles are just mine.  It seems majority of high school students that I have talked to share the same struggles.

    Learning isn't the only experience I am upset with missing out.  The entire high school experience is what I am missing.  Everything from racing to homeroom a minute before the bells rings, seeing my friends at lunch, arguing over who will take the ball bag to practice, the chaotic bus rides to and from soccer games, to Friday night football and basketball games.  Luckily, I'm only a sophomore, so I will have more time to experience this fun. 

    But, the Class of 2020 wasn't so lucky.  My sister, Sammi, was heartbroken when it was announced we would finish the school year virtually.  She missed her senior prom, water wars, graduation, and many more unforgettable memories that past seniors did get to experience.  On top of that, she is a freshman in college, and missing out on the irreplaceable experience of her first year in college.  She was able to go to James Madison University for two weeks before she was sent home for a month.  She got to live in a dorm for a little bit, and got to attend a few classes in person, but it was short lived.  There was a COVID-19 outbreak on her campus, and all Freshman were kicked off of campus, unless they were excused to stay.  Her roommate and her came home and began attending all classes virtually.  Sammi, just like me, isn't built for online learning.  But, this didn't bother her as much as the social aspect that she was missing out on.

    She decided to rush for a sorority, which would normally be a very interactive process during any other year.  But this year, it was completely virtual.  For the past two weekends, she was on the computer from 7 AM to 9 PM, interviewing with members from every sorority on campus.  But it wasn't one-on-one, which is how it would be in person.  There were anywhere from 3 to 7 girls on the call interviewing, with one interviewer.  It is extremely hard to express your personality over the computer in the first place, but add a few girls who you are technically competing against to get time, and be able to say everything you want is nearly impossible.  I honestly don't know how she managed that, and neither does she.  

    Virtual learning poses many difficulties, inside the "classroom", and outside of it.  Missing out on the hands on learning experience and the social aspect of school tears down students mentally.  The distractions seem infinite, and the ability to focus seems mythological.  Online school is definitely not for me, and I know that many other students feel the exact same way.

Comments

  1. So many hardships and I feel bad that you're missing out on the high school experience, but I feel doubly sad for Sammi and last year's class. So sad for them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment