In an Ideal World- Bella Harris

 It's no secret this year has been far from normal, COVID-19 has caused over 1 million deaths, left at least 40 million without jobs and left those remaining stuck inside in a closed off world. With all this sadness from grieving families, frustration from teachers, students, and workers having to do everything virtual or risk getting the corona virus to go into work or school, and a combination of both of these emotions coming from unemployed peoples who have now lost their livelihoods, it is universally understood that everyone could use something positive to help them get through these times. I decided to ask some struggling and frustrated students one thing: If you could do anything to make this unusual school year better, what would it be?





Before you read these quotes a few things need to be discussed. To start, some quotes had to be edited because harsher language and curse words were used, so if any of these quotes are yours, that's why they aren't exact words. Secondly, I gave everyone I asked the freedom to interpret my question as they wished which is why there is such a strong variation in answers.

Starting with those who kept their hopes more school oriented...

"Being on a beach and doing it [schoolwork] or on vacation, just not stuck in my dungeon of a basement"- C. 

"If it wasn’t so early first of all and secondly if school was more comforting and didn't feel like a jail"; "Or if I was at Hogwarts I'd love that so much"- S.

"Being in school"- L. and B.

"Um I wish I could do school in my car, my parents car”; “In the back of the car while we drive around New York City”- C.

"More interesting material or a different presentation method, this is so boring"- C.

"Probably to just like be with your friends while doing it everyday, that would make it so much more enjoyable"- L.

“Definitely classes shorter, and I can play 2k while doing classes”- J.

And moving to some who got a little more off-topic...

"Dye my hair blue"- S.

"Boyfriend"- Anon

"Freedom"- PJ Student

"Like endless clothing, and like allowed to get tattoos”- S.

"I would want a new puppy, a rescue Australian shepherd, that sits on my lap as I do school and cuddles me all day”- A.


"If Ohio State can win the college football natty, that would make my year"; "Or if I could race somebody on an ostrich"- E.


"I would do homework on a turtle, I would play 2k and go fishing all day, I would own a tortoise and have a sloth race"- T.


I think we can all take away the same thing from these interviews, that we’d all just like a little more excitement in our lives. Some sort of break from the constant everyday cycle that COVID-19 has left us in. While we can't do everything we'd like to right now lets all make sure that we are wearing masks and following protocols so we can get back to normal as soon as possible.












Comments

  1. I think this is a really interesting take on the topic. I like how creative and different it is from other posts, and how your worked to make it unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a covid piñata? That's not a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved how you interviewed people!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment