Funny How? - A Poem By Sebastian Gomez

"Today was tough."

I say to myself half-awake and in bed,

"Today was rough."

My eyes betray me, I slowly lay down my head,

Funny how, three's a crowd, so thousands must be a sea,

"Wait it out, stay inside, we'll beat it eventually."


Funny how,

Trying times, we cling to a select few,

Funny how,

Their state of mind resembles mine too,

How could they?

How could they even walk in my shoes?

When they wake up to 40 acres, stable job, inground pool.


What is normal?

A question people seldom ask themselves,

I guarantee, individuals find the question come up more frequently,

Is it where you feel most comfortable?

What better place than home, right?

Kickback, relax, easygoing never got so old,

If Big G thrust this upon us well, that's life.


Why oh why do you live this chapter so complacently?

Why do you not use your time for a betterment of yourself?

You procrastinate, do nothing, to your greatest ability,

Classes start at eight yet you have the audacity to want to sleep?

Jeopardizing your health,

Jeopardizing your studies,

Your friends,

Your future,

Your family,

Your life,

You do not hold yourself accountable,

Cut the excuses buddy, you are not infallible.


You are quite the opposite,

I understand that school is a nuisance, irritation,

Need not worry, this too will pass, although indefinite,

Being kicked out, internet rubbish, mic muted, lessons lost in translation,

Students are drained mentally and internally,

Teachers frustrated with technology, ready to explode quite literally.


What a mess.


But you are not the only one affected by these abnormal circumstances,

That ocean of people less bountiful, jobless, no roof

Teachers must deal with enough of you, stop ranting

1 in 6 Americans jobless, we have proof

True, you did not ask for this, but you must make the most of it

Voice your concerns, frustrations, don’t keep them closeted.


And once you’re done moping on the floor,

Pick yourself up and get out of the door,

Sincerely, yours.




Works Cited

Hartman, Mitchell. “30 Million? 18 Million? How Many Americans Are out of Work Right Now?” Marketplace, 7 Aug. 2020,

www.marketplace.org/2020/08/06/how-many-americans-unemployed-right-now/.

https://www.weareteachers.com/coronavirus-and-remote-learning-an-impossible-option-for-many/

Comments

  1. I love how you accentuate how quarantine forces us to confront our own problems, like procrastination, even though we may not know how to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you formatted your post, very different and fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem and the reading of it you sent me was amazing! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very moving poetry. It's important to realize your own flaws and work on them, especially now when it's so much easier to hide. Stanza 4 was one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love it! This is really unique and not what I was expecting- but it was absolutely phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved how you wrote a poem and changed it up. It was very fun to read and really gets the point across. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment